Now you can polish your bookends and large flats on the same machine, using either our Magnetic Novas or the standard process using abrasives on the rotating disc itself.
Our RL Flat Laps are rugged machines, from cast iron lap plates to metal tanks. They will give years of service.
- Motors for both size machines are thermally protected, with manual reset buttons. This prevents any unintentional, unexpected restart of the motor.
- Arbor shafts are 1". Bearings are 1", factory lubricated and sealed to prevent contamination.
- Machine tanks are heavy duty, fabricated steel with powder coating. Safety screen protects the operating mechanisms below the tanks, but still allows some visibility. The 18 RL tank measures 24" x 24"x 7 3⁄4" deep. Overall height is 34". The 12RL tank measures 15"x 15"x 6 3⁄4" deep, with and overall height of 133⁄4"
- Drip style water reservoir has an adjustable valve to regulate flow of water or water-abrasive mixtures to the rotating discs The drip spout is easily moved over the disc surface as needed.
- The cast iron plates are machined to exacting tolerances and grooved with concentric V-groove circles for use and retention of abrasive charges. Magnetic Novas attach easily to the surface of the plates as well.
- Our RL Model Flat laps run at speeds suitable for both the use of abrasive grits on the rotating plates, and for use of Magnetic Novas. Machines with variable speed motors are generally not needed, but are available as a SPECIAL ORDER. Call for technical assistance for your application, and for prices.
We've modified our RL Model Rotating Flat Laps to accommodate the speeds and set up necessary for both
processes. For the fastest and most efficient way to polish large flats, we recommend using our Magnetic Nova Laps.
You save time in two ways.
First, the actual polishing process for each step is reduced by the speed and efficiency
of our resin-bond diamond Magnetic Nova Laps. Under normal circumstances, it only takes 15 to 25 minutes for each grit step to polish your large flat.
Second, you save a lot of time by not having the usual clean-up job between grit changes. Changing grits with Magnetic Novas simply means removing one flexible lap from the plate and installing the next—taking only a few moments at most. (See photo below.) Since the diamonds in Magnetic Novas are permanently bonded to their working surfaces, there's little chance of contamination. USING DIAMOND MAGNETIC NOVAS Our diamond Magnetic Novas are the fastest and most efficient way to polish large slabs on the RL Lap machines.
Our recommended general-purpose grit sequence of Magnetic Novas for RL machines is 60, 280, 600 and 1200 grits, followed by Super Premium Cerium Oxide Polish on a felt pad. We also recommend the use of a 60 grit Plated Diamond Disc to precede the 60 grit Magnetic Nova for those slab surfaces with deep saw marks or other features requiring grinding preparation.
Other grit sequences can be used to fit your need We recommend that Magnetic Novas in diameters 12" and larger be used with 1" arbor holes. The hole prevents the "dead" center of the revolving lap from "grabbing" your workpiece, yet does not prevent you from using the entire surface of the lap. USING THE STANDARD LAPPING PROCESS If you need to precision grind and polish a flat surface on stone, glass or optics, use the cast iron lap plate of the RL lap, and a series of silicon carbide or other abrasives. The rotating cast iron plate is built to fulfill the fundamental requirements of precision lapping with maximum stability and wheel balance.
Lap plates are machined to exacting tolerances and grooved with concentric V-groove circles for retention of the abrasive. Your surface will be FLAT. Standard grit sequence for most purposes is 60/90, 220,400, 600, 1000, followed by a polish. We recommend our Super Premium Cerium Oxide. Model 12RL Model 18RL
|ITEM||12" MODELS||ITEM||18" MODELS|
|Order #||Shp Wt.||Order #||Shp Wt.|
|12 RL Lap Machine|
1⁄3 HP 115V-60Hz
|620-40-121897||144 lbs.||18 RL Lap Machine *|
1⁄2 HP 115V-60Hz
|12 RL Lap Machine|
1⁄3 HP 220V-50Hz
For use outside the USA
|620-40-121897X||135 lbs.||18 RL Lap Machine *|
1⁄2 HP 220V-50Hz
For use outside the USA
|12RL Cast Iron|
|621-40-117085||25 lbs.||18 RL Cast Iron|
|12 RL Splash Guards (2)||621-40-118457||2 lbs||18RL Splash Guards (3)||621-40-118458||3lbs.|
|Crating fee RL machine||620-40-C12||Crating fee 18 RL|
|* 18" Laps shipped via truck||Crating fee 18 RLPlate||621-40-117077C|