Los Angeles (LA) Abrasion Machine
The Los Angeles Abrasion test, also known as the L.A. Abrasion test for short, is widely used as an indicator of aggregate quality. The test measures the degradation of standard gradings of aggregates subjected to abrasion and impact in a rotating steel drum containing an abrasive charge of steel balls. Up to twelve balls are used, depending on the gradation of test samples.
Gilson's Los Angeles (LA) Abrasion Machine design has integrated safety features with user controls on the outside of the built-in sound enclosure. An electrical interlock allows the machine to operate only when the double-hinged lid is closed and a safety key is inserted. No moving parts are exposed during operation. The drum is positioned for loading and unloading using a jog button while watching through a viewing window in the enclosure. The 1in (25mm) thick steel shelf of ASTM “preferred design” extends the width of the drum. A wear-resistant shelf of hardened steel is optionally available. Sound is absorbed by the heavy, painted steel enclosure with sound attenuating foam and membrane lining.
A 1hp electronically controlled gear-motor rotates the drum at 30—33rpm via an enclosed chain drive. Drum assembly rotates in flanged ball bearings with dust seals and grease fittings. The controller console with overload protection has large JOG and On/Off push-button controls, and an automatic counter stops rotation after a preset number of revolutions. Abrasive charge of twelve hardened steel balls 46-48mm in diameter and 390-445 grams are included.
- Electronic safety interlocks allow operation only with doors secured
- Powerful 1hp motor rotates drum through a slip-clutch protected chain drive
- Fully-enclosed cabinet to reduce dust and cover the rotating drum during operation
- Enclosure is lined with sound attenuating foam to reduce noise levels
- User controls are mounted on the outside of the sound enclosure for a straightforward operation
- Placement of 1in thick wear-resistant steel shelf meets ASTM’s preferred design
- Controller console to stop revolutions after a preset number, with overload protection
- L.A. Abrasion Machine
- Catch Pan
- Abrasive charge of twelve hardened steel balls
AASHTO T 96 , ASTM C535 , ASTM C131/131M , AASHTO TP 108
|Revolutions per Minute||30-33|
|Drum Diameter||28in (711mm)|
|Electrical||HM-70A: 220V / 60Hz, 5.8 Amps|
|Product Dimensions||38 x 40 x 46.5in (965 x 1,016 x 1,181mm),WxDxH|