The Surber Sampler is the classic quantitative sampler for benthic invertebrates.
Designed for shallow streams less than 18" deep, one advantage is its great portability. The end of the filtering area is large enough to insert your entire hand to remove specimens (9" diameter where the collar meets the filter area). The entire length (from collar to filter) is 24" long. The Surber Sampler consists of two pivoting solid stainless steel frames and lockable brace latches to hold the frames at right angles to each other. The frames support the Nitex net and hold it in place with stainless steel strips. The open base rests on the stream bottom and encloses an area 12 x 12". The Sampler folds flat for storage or transportation.
- Open the frame and latch the movable braces.
- Set the lower frame in the stream so that the net extends down stream with the current. Then seat the lower frame firmly on the stream bottom.
- Stir up the stream bottom so that any animal life will float up and drift into the net.
- Remove the sampler from the stream and wash your sample into containers to be taken back to the lab.
Replacement Parts and Accessories
We strongly recommend buying replacement parts before going into the field.
- 14-A20 Surber base extension, 6" each
- 910-G22 Molded Plastic Case, Large (Fits all surbers and extensions)
|12-C80||Surber||Standard||1000 µm Nitex Net||With Case|
|12-C82||Surber||Standard||1000 µm Nitex Net||No Case|
|12-C85||Surber||Standard||1000 µm||Net Only|
|12-C60||Surber||Standard||600 µm Nitex Net||With Case|
|12-C62||Surber||Standard||600 µm Nitex Net||No Case|
|12-C65||Surber||Standard||600 µm||Net Only|
|12-C50||Surber||Standard||500 µm Nitex Net||With Case|
|12-C52||Surber||Standard||500 µm Nitex Net||No Case|
|12-C55||Surber||Standard||500 µm||Net Only|
|12-C30||Surber||Standard||363 µm Nitex Net||With Case|
|12-C32||Surber||Standard||363 µm Nitex Net||No Case|
|12-C35||Surber||Standard||363 µm||Net Only|
|12-C20||Surber||Standard||243 µm Nitex Net||With Case|
|12-C22||Surber||Standard||243 µm Nitex Net||No Case|
|12-C25||Surber||Standard||243 µm||Net Only|
|12-C10||Surber||Standard||800 μm Multifiliament||With Case|
|12-C12||Surber||Standard||800 μm Multifiliament||No Case|
|12-C15||Surber||Standard||800 μm Multifiliament||Net Only|