Esco Frontier Acela is a world class laboratory fume hood designed for maximum protection of your laboratory personnel
Produced and designed by the leader in clean-air technology, with nearly 4 decades of experience, this platform is outfitted with precisely tuned aerodynamics for outstanding user safety. The system offers high energy efficiency, design flexibility and delivers outstanding operator ergonomics. Its ability to operate at a reduced face velocity of 0.3 m/s allows for an exhaust volume reductions of up to 58% as compared to a conventional fume hood.
High Energy Savings
- Precisely tuned aerodynamics for operator safety
- Design flexibility for custom systems
- ASHRAE 110 certified/ EN14175 certified
- UL Classified
- Excellent aesthetics
- 5 degree sloped front
- Unique perforated baffle design
- Superior containment at 0.3m/s
- High energy savings
Laboratory operator safety
- Unique Hot Zone Baffles capture fumes quickly.
- The tapered fibreglass exhaust collar reduces airflow turbulence, static pressure loss, noise level and increases face velocity uniformity.
- Perfect Pitch Profile™. The gentle pitch of the hood profile enhances visibility.
- Tri-wall construction and chain-and-sprocket sash system for maximum durability.
- Sash stop limits sash movement beyond 457 mm (18"). When raised above this height, sash will automatically and gently fall back to the safe level (Esco’s CreepDown Mechanism).
- Sash keylock available to keep sash in place at full open position for equipment loading, or at full close position to restrict access into hood.
- Constant volume / high performance concept eliminates the need for complex VAV systems.
- The Frontier® Acela™ Fume Hood delivers outstanding containment (less than 0.05ppm, as manufactured) down to 60fpm face velocity at both 18" restricted and full open sash openings, tested inhouse in accordance to the ASHRAE-110 and EN14175-3 test protocols.
- Independently certified by Tintschl Engineering, Germany, to comply with the requirements of the EN14175 fume hood test standard.
- All Frontier® Acela™ Fume Hoods include 1 water and 1 gas Enhanz™ remote-controlled fixture plumbed to the top of the hood and 2 duplex outlets standard (specify outlet code when ordering).
Laboratory operator benefits
- The tapered fiberglass exhaust collar reduces airflow turbulence, static pressure loss, noise level and increases face velocity uniformity.
- Perfect Pitch Profile™. The gentle pitch of the hood profile enhances visibility and operator ergonomics.
- Sash key-lock available to keep sash in place at full open position for equipment loading, or at full close position to restrict access into hood.
- 5-degree front slope for user comfort and improved ergonomics.
Computational Fluid Dynamics
Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) modelling is employed in the development of Esco clean air and containment devices. Laminar Topography™ on Frontier® Acela™ Fume Hoods was developed with computational fluid dynamics modelling in the Esco Research and Development Center. The main thrusts of the project were improved airflow uniformity, enhanced safety, reduction in noise levels, and energy consumption. First, engineering teams conceptualized possible designs, and, instead of building physical models, utilized CFD to simulate airflow patterns, pressurizations and visualize possible areas of turbulence. This allowed a large number of iterations of the airfoil, sash handle, baffle, bypass and exhaust collar to be evaluated. Finally, physical prototypes were constructed, tested, and the best design combination selected for production.CFD has allowed us to effectively reduce the vortex in conventional fume hood designs to the minimum, resulting in a safe yet energy-saving fume hood design.
Conventional Fume Hoods are Energy Spenders
The cost of running a full blown fume food in a laboratory is certainly not negligeable. More so if you maintain more than two of this equipment in the lab. Fume hoods, which are essential in keeping the safety of every personnel inside the laboratory, are highly energy-intensive with each one consuming more energy than three homes in an average U.S. environment. Depending on climate and system design, estimated energy costs for fume hoods range up to US$9000 annually, based on face velocities of 0.5 m/s (100 fpm) at full sash open position for a 1.8 m (72”) hood. Variable Air Volume (VAV) is one of the various approaches presently employed to reduce hood energy consumption. Compared with conventional hoods, it operates safely at 0.3 m/s (60 fpm) at 457 mm (18.0")or full open sash position while maintaining excellent ASHRAE and EN containment.Exhaust volume reductions of up o 58% may be achieved without compromising safety. This translates into an annual operating cost savings of up to US$5600. Unlike VAV systems the Esco Frontier® Acela™ is easy and inexpensive to install, commission and maintain.
- All Frontier Acela Fume Hoods include 1 water and 1 gas Enhanz™ remote-controlled fixture plumbed to the top of the hood and 2 duplex outlets standard. (Specify outlet code when ordering)
- Electrical Outlets
- Enhanz™ Service Fixtures
- Sentinel-XL™ Airflow Alarm Kit
- Distillation Grids
- Work Tops
- Ventilation Kit (VK-EBA)
- Ventilates base cabinet utilizing the hood exhaust system
- Filler Panel (FP-EBAD)
- One set of filler panels required per continous row of hoods
- Protects laboratory equipment during sudden fluctuation of current
- Fume hood circuit protection
- Only applicable to 230 V, AC, 50/60 Hz hoods
- Factory-installed; specify when ordering
- Ventilates base cabinet utilizing the hood exhaust system
*This cabinet requires an external blower (sold separately)
|Nominal Size||1.2 m (4')||1.5 m (5')||1.8 m (6')||2.4 m (8')|
|External Dimensions* (WxDxH)||1220x900x1521mm 48.0"x35.4"x59.9"||1525x900x1521mm 60.0"x35.4"x59.9"||1830x900x1521mm 72.0"x35.4"x59.9"||2440x900x1521mm 96.0"x35.4"x59.9"|
|Internal Work Area (WxDxH)||996x672x1240mm 39.2"x26.5"x48.8"||1301x672x1240mm 51.2"x26.5"x48.8"||1606x672x1240mm 63.2"x26.5"x48.8"||2216x672x1240mm 87.2"x26.5"x48.8"|
|Maximum Sash Opening||740mm (29.1")|
|Exhaust Volume/Static Pressure Required Face Velocity of 0.3m/s (60 fpm) at 457mm (18") sash opening||541cmh @ 14.3Pa 31cfm @ 0.06"WG||777cmh @ 14.6Pa 457cfm @ 0.06"WG||872cmh @ 19.9Pa 510cfm @ 0.08"WG||1230cmh @ 14.2Pa 708cfm @ 0.06"WG|
|Exhaust Outlet Diameter||305mm (12")|
|Number of Exhaust Collars||1||1||1||2|
|Electrical Requirements||230V, AC, 50/60Hz|
|EFA-5UDRVW-8 EFA-5UDRCW-8||EFA-6UDRVW-8 EFA-6UDRCW-8||EFA-8UDRVW-8 EFA-8UDRCW-8|
|110-120V, AC, 50/60Hz||EFA-4UDRVW-9 EFA-4UDRCW-9||EFA-5UDRVW-9 EFA-5UDRCW-9||EFA-6UDRVW-9 EFA-6UDRCW-9||EFA-8UDRVW-9 EFA-8UDRCW-9|